Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Bread Pudding

I noticed that in my kitchen I had some very stale semolina bread left. Instead of throwing it out or attempting to slice it to make french toast, I decided to make a family favorite... bread pudding. What a great way to eat stale bread and it was so tasty!



Bread Pudding
A tasty breakfast, dessert, or midnight snack!

(I found this recipe online here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/bread-pudding-ii/Detail.aspx but made it in a smaller quantity.)

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour

Ingredients
3 slices of day old bread
1 tbsp butter (melted)
1/4 cup raisins (optional  but tasty)
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk (I used 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup half and half- it made it much creamier.)
1/4 cup and 2 tbsps white sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Break or cut bread into small pieces.
3. Put pieces in an 8 inch baking pan (I used a circle one but a square one works too)
4. Drizzle melted butter or margarine over bread. If desired, sprinkle with raisins.
5. In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed.
6. Pour over bread and lightly push down with fork until bread is covered and soaking up mixture.
4. Bake in oven for 45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped.

Very enjoyable dessert.... even my sister was happy I made it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment